"...one of the county’s best weekends of music." - Oxford Mail
Folk Weekend: Your House continues...
We all know everything's a bit strange at the moment, but you may not have realised what a crucial time this is for the arts and cultural sector - particularly for those of us who work in live events.
All over the country venues are under threat of closure, and a whole range of staff from musicians, to technicians, to cleaners are suddenly out of work. Folk musicians all over the world have had tours cancelled, projects postponed, and are facing months of little or no work - and likely years of uncertainty as the industry finds its feet on the other side of this pandemic.
At Folk Weekend: Oxford, we want to do our bit to support the artists and the community, and we pioneered a successful festival of online events using Zoom and Facebook live. The beauty of running events via Zoom is that audience and artist can see and hear each other; interaction is possible, applause is encouraged(!), and audience members can even ask questions or chat to artists during the event.
We don't know how long the world is going to be in quarantine, but we do know that virtually all 'in person' events have already been cancelled throughout the summer, and we suspect it may be many months before promoters and venues feel able to take the risk of putting on events. We have taken the decision to continue promoting events online via Zoom for the foreseeable future, to help support artists who are out of work, and to keep our community connected.
Please see our What's On page for details of our forthcoming events.
1) Sign up to our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/folkweekendoxford - this is where the free events are happening
2) Download Zoom from http://zoom.us - this is what you'll need to watch the ticketed events. All passwords are on the main ticketing page for the event at fao.yapsody.com.
3) Virtual sessions are also happening in Zoom - you'll need to download the programme where you'll find the room link, and use the password FWO2020 to enter.
Running a festival online is a completely new thing for us and for you - and unlike most events we are doing it LIVE rather than pre-recorded so there's a limit to how much we can test beforehand. It's quite likely that there will be issues, but we will be here ready to help!
If you have any problems accessing any events you have booked for during the festival here are some things you can try:
- Turn your technology off and on again(!)
- Make sure your volume is turned up and your speakers are plugged in